- Effective Leadership Skills for the Workplace
November 6, 2019 - November 7, 2019
8:30 am - 5:00 pm
MBA Regional Training Event
November 6-7, 2019
Hosted by Smith County Juvenile Services
“Effective Leadership Skills for the Workplace”
If the people attending this 2-day workshop appropriate apply the principles and practices taught in this workshop will increase their impact on the organization where they work by being a better team mate, by dealing more effective with changes that occur, by increasing their influence within the organization and by using creative thought to more effectively deal with problems that arise.
November 6, 2019
8:30 am – 12:00 pm
Let’s Play Like a Winning Team
The reason that many organization are unsuccessful in accomplishing their mission and reaching their goals are that the organization fails to function like a team. The individual employees of the individual units within the organization tend to function independently of each other and fail to realize they are all on the same team. This workshop focuses on teamwork within the organization. During this session, participants will:
- Examine the definition of “team,”
- Determine the qualities (other than skill at their position) that they would look for in selecting people to be on their team,
- Examine the definition of “teamwork,”
- Gain an understanding of the common barriers to effective teamwork,
- Examine the characteristics of winning teams,
- Discuss the qualities of a “Dream Team,”
- Identify the communication tools used within their own departments,
- Examine a “Model of Basic Communication,”
- Participate in Communication exercises presented by the instructor,
- Identify actions would have enhanced the communication between the sender and the receiver,
- Explore types of non-verbal communication and how they enhance or prevent the communication process,
- Explore the 3 key verbal communication skills,
- Discuss barriers to Effective communication, and
- Discuss the characteristics of a “Winning Work Environment.
1:30 pm – 5:00 pm
What to Do When Shift Happens
To ensure effectiveness in their careers, both employees and administrators must learn to deal with change. Shifts in work assignments, management, organizational philosophy, and available funding can have tremendous impacts on individuals ill prepared to deal with change. During this workshop, participants will:
- Identify the principle causes of change in their places of work,
- Identify additional things that could force change upon their organizations,
- Identify the feelings they had when they were forced to change,
- Identify what led to those feelings,
- Discuss the 3 “truths about change,”
- Identify how resistance to change can be good,
- Identify how resistance to chance can be bad,
- Explore the methods of dealing with change and the impact of each.
November 7, 2019
8:30 am – 12:00 pm
How to Become More Influential!
Too many people think of leadership as something for a select few at the highest rungs on the organizational ladder; however, in reality, there are leaders at every level within every organization.
In his books, international leadership guru John C. Maxwell says, “leadership is influence — nothing more, nothing less.” The purpose of this workshop is to provide participants with the knowledge, skills and abilities to become more influential and to learn ways to better lead and manage their peers, people they supervise, and even their own boss. In this workshop, participants will:
- Walk away from this session with an understanding that they can be a leader and have influence with other regardless of their position within an organization,
- Examine the difference between people in “mid-management” and “mid-leadership” roles,
- Explore ways to become more influential with their peers, with the people they supervise and even their own boss.
- Explore why “power” and “politics” are view negative in our society,
- Examine new definitions for “power” and “politics,”
- Gain a new understanding of what power and politics really are and how they can be used in a positive way,
- Identify people they think or powerful and why those people have “power,”
- Learn the two sources from which people get power,
- Learn the 7 types of power and the source of each,
- Identify the people in their lives who had the most impact on them, describe that impact, and the methods they used to have that impact,
- Discuss the “3 tips for being more influential,”
- Discover the motivation people have for doing anything,
- Examine ways to manage their own boss (whether it is a person or a board of directors).
1:30 pm – 5:00 pm
Thinking Outside the Box: A Path to Creative Problem Solving
Someone has said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. In a time of rapid change and a tremendous demand to be more effective in what we do, we cannot continue to do the same things over and over. During this highly interactive workshop, participants will:
- Learn to view problems from more than one view point,
- Have fun while learning the principles of creative problem solving,
- Explore roadblocks that limit problem solving abilities,
- Discover how to define problems in a manner that enable to develop multiple solutions to problems,
- Participate in a number of activities design to broaden their problem-solving abilities,
- Practice these skills in the class room by using them to solve a problem provided by the instructor, and
- Gain thinking skills that will enable them to apply “out of the box” thinking to situations that arise in their daily lives as well as in their jobs.
Cancellation Policy: Full refunds will be given to those who cancel in writing more than ten (10) days prior to the training. A refund of 60% of the fees paid will be authorized when a written request for refund is submitted less than ten (10) working days prior to the scheduled start of the training. Mel Brown and Associates reserves the right to retain or collect fees in full for those who fail to cancel prior to the training or for those who fail to attend. Substitutions are permitted at any time.